Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chemo Treatments on Hold Till After the Holidays (Yeay!)

I met with my oncologist yesterday, and requested that we hold off on the Chemo treatments until after Christmas and New Year's. He said, "Sure! I have no problem with that." He explained that these "agents" aren't subject to a rigorous schedule - that reasonable delays are OK. So, I should be pretty much at full strength for the Holidays!

I also told him that Dr. Liau had recommended extending the Chemo regimen by 3 months. He must have been in an agreeable mood - he said, "I'd actually have no qualms about extending it indefinitely." I understand that as long as the drug is well-tolerated by the patient, there's not a hard/fast rule about when to discontinue.

I'm hoping the extra 3 months will do the trick. Though I'm not having any major side-effects, the fatigue is still significant hurdle, although certainly tolerable - especially given the alternative!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to your family & you! I'm glad to hear that you're no longer in your doctor's worry list! Way to go, Bob! I hope that you get through your next round of chemo treatments successfully and with as minimal discomfort as can be possible. I'll continue to pray for your continued recovery.

Take care,
Alicia

Misc. Muse said...

I hope things will go well with your treatment. Your blog is excellent. My grandma was a Mormon, even when we visited the temple when I was 10- I could spot error when I saw it. I am sure the Mormon teachers were delighted to have me in Sunday School Class, I gave a clear message of Biblical Baptism, also.