Sunday, July 1, 2007

Surgery Update

I just got off the phone with my surgeon. Here are the details about the surgery (sorry if this is repetitious, but I wanted all this on one place where it's easy for everyone to find).

1. Surgery will begin at 7:30AM July 2. It will last 6-7 hours. I'll be awakened for up to 2 hours during the surgery to do a detailed "mapping" of my speech center.

2. My surgery will be at UCLA Medical Center Hospital. After Monday, you can try to reach me through Patient Location: 310/825-8611 (I'll be in the ICU the first night). I'll be there at least 3 nights, maybe 4.

3. There is a strong possibility that I'll have some temporary speech impairment for the first few hours or even days following surgery. This is normal, due to swelling. So, if I don't answer the phone, or do but can't talk, you'll know why!

4. I should be able to write and read just fine. So, when I feel up to it, I'll try to 'blog' from my Blackberry or from my computer, after I return home.

5. Dr. Liau rated the possibility of getting all the tumor at 90%! Again, a lot rests on the final 'grading' of the tumor - even if she gets all of it, if it grades "high," I'll need radiation and chemo (but none, if it grades "low"). I won't hear the final results for about 5 days following surgery. They'll give me a preliminary report the day of surgery, but it's only about 80% accurate.

That's about it...I'm ready to get this done! I'm confident. I have all the resources I need for this battle - a loving and supportive family, great friends at work and at church, countless prayers, a topflight surgeon, a wonderful hospital and staff, and most importantly a Faithful and True Savior in whom I trust completely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you this morning. May GOD bless you.
ray

Mary and Steve Lively said...

We are praying for you today. Your blog has been a tremendous souce of enrichment to me. Steve and I are new to Shepherds but we love you in Christ.

Keep us posted so we can continue to pray.

God Bless,
Mary Lively

Anonymous said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of Robert's surgery. As I write this it's about 4pm on the day of surgery. I'm hoping it went even better than expected, and that the outcome will be that he has no long-term effects, God willing!!

- Larry LaCom

Anonymous said...

July 4

I visited Robert today in the hospital. Obviously he was in a very subdued state due to the surgery and its after effects. He was able to talk, haltingly and sparingly. He expressed gladness to see me, and concern for my comfort at seeing him in his current state. I think I stayed about an hour, maybe a little less.

While I was there a physical therapist came in and briefly worked with him. His right arm and leg are immobile. He can feel them, but he can't move them. The PT was beginning to try to get them working again.

I believe this is a temporary state, due to the fact that the tumor was close to the large motor area of the brain, which was somewhat traumatized by the surgery. The same with his speech. I have high hopes that Robert will be able to speak again normally in a short while, after the swelling goes down. I was actually encouraged by his ability to speak as much as he did.

I prayed with him for healing and a full recovery, and for God's peace to continue on him. He did say he was at peace with God, and was grateful for my prayers.

I asked him if I could deliver a message for him, and he said "yes - prayer. Ask everyone to pray." So, all you who read this, please pray for Robert's healing, a full recovery, and quick return to a normal life.

- Larry LaCom