Thursday, September 27, 2007

Recovery (Part 3)

The TCU had one nurse for every two patients. I had some wonderful nursing care, especially the day staff. Beryl was one of my favorites. She gave me excellent care, all the while with a smile on her face. She even shaved my face for me - probably the first time in several weeks that had happened.

We started out with four patients, but within a day or two, we were down to three. That was nice! But as all good things must end, so too did this little perq. They brought in a guy in even worse shape than me. He had some sort of an aneurism in his brain, and it was bleeding. He was so out of it, the nurses finally got the doctor to approve a knockout sedative. Of course, all this occurred in the middle of the night. Needless to say, I barely slept.

Actually, it was hard getting a good night's sleep, anyway. The nurses kept waking me up every two hours to check my vitals!

There's a sign in the elevators: "UCLA rates Number 1 in patient care in the West, and in the top 5 Nationally." After experiencing both the ICU and TCU, I can only agree!

No comments: