Thursday, June 14, 2007

I'm a Bruin fan, now!

My father got his BA from the University of Southern California (USC) in the early 1940's. He was on the varsity track team that included Olympic miler Louis Zamperini. I have clippings of Dad running high hurdles from the front page of the Sports section of the Los Angeles Times.

Growing up, sports were a big part of my relationship with my Dad, and USC was was his favorite team - especially track and football. I remember following the John McKay teams with Heisman trophy winners and National Championships. Our local rival was UCLA, and I always hated them! I remember vividly when the Gary Beban-led Bruins defeated our Trojans in the last minute to gain the Rose Bowl - what was that, 1967?

As many of you know, I eventually ended up attending graduate schoool at USC myself in the late 1970's.

As they say, that was then - this is now!

I've done a lot of research on the topic, and I can say without question that UCLA's medical research facilities are second to none. I still have a certain fondness for my own alma mater, but I've been converted! I'm a Bruin fan, now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colby, Bob beat you to it. He just converted to a Bruin fan.

Heidi

Unknown said...

Darn! Bob, I was gonna give you flak about this, on Monday, but thought better of it....

I am praying for you!

- Colby