Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Waiting

One of my favorite rock albums of the 1980's (my older readers will remember 'albums'!) was Tom Petty's The Waiting. The lyrics of the title cut run:

"The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part."

Not great poetry, perhaps, but it perfectly reflects my experience, right now. I feel fine. I'm on meds to control possible siezures and swelling of the tumor (both of which keep me out of the driver's seat of my car, other than short trips, not on the freeway). I have some pain pills for headaches I've not needed in recent days.

I'm not scheduled for surgery for 2 1/2 weeks (July 3). I have to undergo some tests prior to surgery, but with one exception, I don't know - yet - when these will occur.

So, all I can do is wait.

I have to say, there is a certain anxiety, having major surgery - on my BRAIN, no less! - hanging over me like this. I wish the surgery could have been scheduled weeks sooner. But, I also know that events are all happening for a reason - that God has providentially arranged things for my good, no matter how this all ultimately works out.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says: "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:27).

I'm clinging to that verse, right now. The waiting IS the hardest part - but I know that God is continuing to teach me, growing me through all aspects of this experience; growing me up into the man He knows I can be.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I'm thinking about you every day. I do hope that everything turns out well for you. Fingers, toes and anything else are crossed. I am inspired by your blog pages and hope you get well soon.

Jim Glazer

Nancy MacMillan said...

Dear Bob,

Without going into detail, my quest for a bible based church brought me to Shepherds in Jan. 2006, where I found warmth and caring like I'd never known, from people like yourself. On June 3rd (2007) I was baptised, humbled by the overflowing love of His Spirit.

This morning I sat, reading your experiences and your testimony, marveling at your candor during this trying time. You don't know me, but I've been blessed to know you through your words of hope, doubt, faith, humility and of your love for God. Your words will touch the core of every heart who reads them, this is another gift you've been given to share.

Bob, my prayers are with you daily for a full recovery, including Shirley, your children and your surgeon. Remember God loves you so very much and will never leave your side. May His love fill you with the peace that surpasses all understanding.

Love in Christ,
Nancy

Robert Hommel said...

Jim,

Thanks for the kind wishes! It means a lot to me, especially since we haven't had a chance to get to know each other well. Maybe we'll work some projects together after my return!

Nancy,

Good to meet you. I'll be at the early service and fellowship hour tomorrow - perhaps we'll find each other.

Bob

Anonymous said...

Dear Robert,

What a special privilege for us to have you share such personal feelings. I know first hand that the waiting IS incredibly difficult, but you are right, God's timing IS perfect! I had to wait 2 months for my brain tumor surgery date only to come right to it and have a slight fever and a spot on my lung, which somehow was overlooked on the UCLA X-Ray! SURGERY POSTPONED. I thought to myself, "Why God? I want so much to have this over." He knew best though. During that extra month of waiting my dearest friend lost her only son in a car accident and my husband needed a small heart procedure. For the first 1 1/2 months of waiting I was, I guess you would say, a wreck, but a day came when I truly turned it over to Him and to my total amazement He gave me that peace that passes all understanding. I can look at so many instances where God worked out the tiniest details and was always one step ahead. When the nurse took by blood pressure just before surgery she was totally amazed it was "perfect". I told her the Lord was coming into the operating room with me, I'll be sleeping but He'll be awake and guiding the physicians. Robert, you have a wonderful physician (the one God provided) and then of course The Great Physician who will be right there with you both. We love you and are praying for you.

-Lynne Morgan, Harold Morgan, and Andrew Morgan

Robert Hommel said...

Lynn,

Thanks so much for the encouraging words - you are the direct link to Dr. Liau the Lord provided, and I'm so grateful you and Harold decided to notify Pastor Paul! Lynn, our cases are so similar - it's just so faith-building to see how God provided for you, and I know He will continue to provide for me.

Unknown said...

Bob,

It's good to see you have your faith, I have seen the strength it gave my mother in her time of need... I'm sure it will help you through this ordeal... My thoughts are with you! Come back to us soon, chief!

Pieter

Anonymous said...

Bob,

There are a some of us here at Avery, that wanted you to know, that we are gathering together during our lunchtime on Mondays to pray for you and your family.

Bruce

Robert Hommel said...

Bruce,

That really means a lot to me - thanks! The prayers of the righteous avail much(righteous in Christ, that is)!

Bob